Welcome to orienteering
in the age of social distancing!
We have created a set of orienteering courses that you can
enjoy at a time of your choosing. We have set up novice, intermediate,
and advanced level courses with QR-coded markers placed in
the forest preserve. You download and print a map, go the
woods, and scan the QR codes with an app on your phone as
you run the course.
COST: Free -- This event is being provided
by Chicago Area Orienteering Club for free to club members
and the public to promote the sport of orienteering and the
enjoyment of being outside in nature.
TIME: The courses opened March 24, 2020
and will be available until further notice.
Woods in a larger map
- You might want a ziploc or other waterproof cover for your phone
-- it's slippery and muddy out there right now!
1. Get your map: We have designed three courses - novice, intermediate,
and advanced. Download and print the map of your choice here. For
best results handling the QR codes, print the map at the highest
resolution option available with your printer.
2. Install the iOrienteering app on your Android or Apple phone.
For more information on iOrienteering, see their website.
If you want to upload your results when you are done, you'll need
to create an account and register on iOrienteering.
3. Go to the start location marked on your map. Using the iOrienteering
app, scan the 'Load Course' QR code printed on the map.
4. When you are ready to start, scan the 'Start' QR code and begin
your orienteering. Look for the QR codes along the course (currently
in ziplock bags) and scan them in order.
5. When you return to the start/finish area, scan the Finish control
on the map.
6. You can upload your results to iOrienteering website when you
are done (optional).
7. Please email us at webmaster@chicago-orienteering
with your feedback and comments.
Take the Eden's Expwy (I-94) 2 miles north (west) of the Kennedy
(I-90) to Exit 41A (N Caldwell Ave). west). Caldwell will bend from
west to north as you go 4 miles to the forest preserve entrance
on your right, just past Oakton St. Watch for the orange-and-white
orienteering signs. You can also take the Edens to Touhy and go
west to Caldwell. Turn right and go north, following the directions
above. From the north, exit at Dempster and take that west to Waukegan.
Turn left and go south, watching for the Caldwell split to your
left. The forest preserve entrance is about 1/4 mile north of Oakton.