New Club Web Page
The Club has a new web address: www.chicago-orienteering.org
The new look and new address were proposed by our new Webmaster,
Michael Collins, who has been a CAOC member since 1998, and an orienteer
since 1990. He has been designing and developing web sites since
1993, when he was a graduate student in Astronomy at the University
of Arizona. He is now an instructional designer for Square D Company,
and has been the webmaster of various social groups, including the
Second City Hash
House Harriers, a drinking club with a running problem.
The reason for the changes was not only to establish a more logical
web page address, but to also provide e-mail lists, e-mail forwarding,
an autoresponder on the webpage, and form handling for memberships,
volunteer sign-ups and advance registration for meets when necessary.
There is 50 MB of space, which is more than enough for all newsletter
information for several years, including pictures and results tables.
Here are the planned contents of web site:
- a calendar of local, regional,
and national events
- directions to upcoming meets, including area maps
- car-pooling sign up sheets for all out-of-town events
- public transportation directions to CAOC meets
- sample CAOC orienteering maps
- results of past events
- Club Championship standings
- A-meet news: start lists, model events, results
- a general introduction to orienteering
- a history of orienteering and CAOC
- links to other o-clubs, related sports
clubs and calendars
- officer listing with e-mail addresses
and telephone numbers
- telephone and e-mail contacts for all upcoming meets
- an e-commerce storefront to buy CAOC items such as Club maps,
t-shirts, mugs, uniforms, memberships.
- training information and suggestions
- an archive of past Club newsletters
What other suggestions do you have? If you have any questions or
would like to contribute to the web site, let
Michael know, he'll be happy to help.
Equipment Manager still needed badly.
The Club still needs someone this fall to inventory the four equipment
boxes used by meet directors and order and assemble new control
bags, form supplies and other gear. This could be a one-time volunteer
effort. For more information, please call President